April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. Of those who are diagnosed with oral cancer, about 40% will not survive more than 5 years. The high death rate associated with oral cancer patients is main due to a lack of regular testing, which results in the cancer being caught mostly in the late stages. One of the most important ways to keep ahead about oral cancer other than your regular screenings is to know the early symptoms.
Symptoms to Watch Out For:
- Red or white patches on the mouth and lips
- Pain, numbness, or tingling in the mouth and lips
- Any sores or pain that does not seem to go away
- Lumps inside the mouth
- Rough feeling spots inside the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing foods
- Difficulty moving the mouth or jaw, sometimes resulting in difficulty speaking
- Any changes in the way that you close down on your teeth
These are just some of the early warning signs, but the best way to prevent oral cancer is to visit your dentist regularly for those cleanings and exams that your dentist is always harping on. Catching oral cancer signs early can make a huge difference in your treatment and survival once diagnosed.
Oral Cancer Screenings in Cumberland IN
If you have any questions, or if you need to schedule an appointment for a screening, don't hesitate to contact our office right away. If you think you are experiencing some of the signs or oral cancer, visiting a dentist quickly is your best course of action. Give us a call today to get started.